If you’ve ever had writers block then I am sure you will appreciate the blog by Writers On The Move. Recently they published a post with a list of plot possibilities. If you can’t decide if your character should be mad at someone for waiting to tell them something very important, or if the weather is creating an issue of your character getting to a party or graduation, or perhaps you don’t have a clue as to what the character should be doing, then this list may have some possibilities for you. I found the list to be very helpful in giving me ideas on how to create a perfect scene for my character. I hope you find this list as useful as I did. Happy Writing!
Writer’s block? Try one of these:
· Your character gets a phone call that changes everything.
· There is a car accident.
· A secret is revealed.
· The weather changes.
· The power goes out.
· Someone picks a fight with your character.
· Your character gets his/her fortune read, or even just breaks open a fortune cookie. What does it say? What is your character’s reaction?
· A shiver runs down your character’s spine. He/she has a bad feeling…
· The car breaks down/runs out of gas/pops a tire.
· Your character is out of milk.
· Your character is allergic to ________ and, unbeknownst to him/her, has been exposed to exactly the thing he/she is allergic to.
· An animal enters the story.
· Your character receives a mysterious postcard/letter in the mail/email.
· Your character’s best friend suddenly stops speaking to him/her for no apparent reason.
· Your character’s significant other, brother, sister, mother, father, or someone else close to them says, “I have something I’ve been meaning to tell you…”